Thursday, December 31, 2015
#9 Florida State (10-2) vs. #14 Houston (12-1)
Common Opponents: Louisville, Texas State
Florida State vs. Houston
. 2-0 Record 2-0
. 50.0 Offense 46.5
. 18.5 Defense 22.5
. + 31.5 Margin + 24.0
. 1 Edge 1
VER: 31-24, Florida State
Orange Bowl (National Semifinal)
#4 Oklahoma (11-1) vs. #1 Clemson (13-0)
* A win today and another in the national championship game would make Clemson the first
FBS team to go 15-0.
* These two teams met in the Russell Athletic Bowl last year, with Clemson rolling to a surprising and convincing 40-6 victory. Oklahoma wide receiver Sterling Shepard was held to one reception in that game.
* Since losing to Texas, Oklahoma has averaged 52 points per game over its last seven contests.
* Sooner Baker Mayfield has thrown for 35 touchdowns against only five interceptions. Clemson’s Deshaun Watson has 30 touchdown passes and 11 picks, but he is also the team’s second-leading rusher with 887 yards. Watson averages 5.4 yards per carry and leads the Tigers with 11 touchdowns.
VER: 33-30, Oklahoma
#3 Michigan State (12-1) vs. #2 Alabama (12-1)
* Alabama is favored by about 10 points, just as it was a year ago when it lost to Ohio State.
* Nose Tackle Malik McDowell is the only consensus five-star recruit on Michigan State’s roster. Alabama has five-stars all over the field.
* Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio was the defensive backs coach at Michigan State when Nick Saban coached the Spartans from 1995 to 1999. Dantonio, on his former boss: “A lot of the things that we do are patterned after the things that I learned from him, whether it’s technique in the secondary, in the back and a little bit, or defensively, or just the structure of the entire program, recruiting. A lot of different aspects.”
VER: 28-18, Alabama