Virginia Tech 23, Georgia Tech 21
* Credit this one to coordinator Bud Foster’s defense.
* Things did not start out well for the Hokies. Georgia Tech scored touchdowns on two of its first three possessions to take a 14-0 lead while gaining 130 yards in the first quarter.
* And then Virginia Tech slammed the door. The Yellow Jackets managed just 128 yards over the final three quarters. Their only points came on an interception return of 32 yards by Brant Mitchell on the third play of the second half. After the fast start Georgia Tech’s offense finished the game with eight consecutive empty possessions: four punts, three lost fumbles and a turnover on downs.
* Virginia Tech linebacker Andrew Motuapuaka accumulated 12 tackles, including 2.5 for loss.
* Virginia Tech is now 5-5 with #17 North Carolina and rival Virginia yet to go. The Hokies desperately want to send coach Frank Beamer out a winner; long streaks of bowl seasons and winning seasons are on the line.
* Georgia Tech has lost seven of its last eight and won’t go to a bowl for the first time since 1996.
One other game last night: South Alabama 32, Louisiana-Lafayette 25
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
* Because knee injuries wiped out the 2011 and 2013 seasons for Nebraska defensive tackle Kevin Williams, he petitioned the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility. And he got it.
* Williams has played in only five games this year because of a groin issue.