Appalachian State 31, Georgia Southern 13
* Appalachian State spotted rival Georgia Southern a 7-0 lead before scoring 31 straight points. Mountaineer quarterback Taylor Lamb threw for 202 yards and a pair of touchdowns, while
Marcus Cox ran for 83 yards and two more touchdowns.
* Georgia Southern lost for the first time in Sun Belt Conference play after 11 straight wins, dating to last year.
#22 Temple 24, East Carolina 14
* East Carolina outgained Temple, had 24 first downs to 17 for the Owls, and led 14-10 with under four minutes to play. But Temple quarterback P.J. Walker hit Robby Anderson with a 23-yard scoring pass to put his team up 17-14, East Carolina went three and out, and Sharif Finch blocked the ensuing E.C. punt (the second punt block for Temple on the night). Jahad Thomas’s 14-yard touchdown run iced it for Temple with just over two minutes remaining.
* Temple hosts #11 Notre Dame next Saturday night.
U.C.L.A. 40, #20 California 24
* True freshman Josh Rosen completed a school-record 34 passes for 399 yards. Two of his three touchdown passes went to Devin Fuller, while Thomas Duarte had a career-high 10 receptions for a career-high 141 yards.
* U.C.L.A. lost running back Paul perkins in the second quarter and Linebacker Isaako Savaiinaea in the second half to injuries. How bad? U.C.L.A. coach Jim Mora: “They’re not good.” Perkins was the leading rusher in the Pac-12 last year, and Savaiinaea was leading the Bruins, whose defense has already been ravaged by injuries, in tackles this season.
* Cal’s stay in the Top 25 is likely over after its second straight loss.
Friday, October 23, 2015
. Yale (4-1) at Pennsylvania (2-3)
. #18 Memphis (6-0) at Tulsa (3-3)
. Utah State (4-2) at San Diego State (4-3)