September 6, 2015
Huntington, West Virginia
Marshall 41, Purdue 31
In a Sunday afternoon game with four lead changes Tiquan Lang struck first and last with pick-sixes to lead Marshall to its first-ever win against a Big Ten school. Lang returned an interception 30 yards for a touchdown on the game’s first play from scrimmage and sealed the deal with a 55-yard return after teammate Devon Johnson scored on a six-yard run to put the Thundering Herd up 34-31 with 2:50 to go.
September 7, 2015
#1 Ohio State 42, Virginia Tech 24
* Cardale Jones got the start at quarterback for the Buckeyes, threw for two touchdowns and ran for another.
* Ezekiel Elliott carried 11 times for 122 yards, including an 80-yard run for a touchdown on which
Ohio State’s line opened a hole almost wide enough to drive a truck through.
* The offensive star was playing his first game at a new position. That would be Buckeye Braxton Miller at H-back. Miller scored touchdowns on a 54-yard catch-and-run and a 53-yard run that featured a spin move to die for. One writer called him “a new and improved version of Percy Harvin.” Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer wished Miller was still part of Ohio State’s quarterback saga and added, “I thought he was pretty special.”
* Virginia Tech was down only 21-17 early in the third quarter and had driven into Ohio State territory when quarterback Michael Brewer sustained a broken collarbone. The Hokies’ offense could do little thereafter without him. Brewer will have surgery and is expected to miss four to eight weeks.
*The Buckeyes went up 14-0 before Tech scored 17 straight points to lead at the break. The comeback was fueled by Ohio State mistakes, including a muffed punt.
*Ohio State amassed 572 total yards with 360 of them coming on the ground. The nation’s
top-ranked team averaged better than 10 yards per play against a team long known for its defensive prowess. And to think three of its top playmakers (Jalin Marshall, Corey Smith,
Dontre Wilson) were serving one-game suspensions and did not participate!) Said Elliott,
“We’re missing guys and we still had just so many weapons on the field today…We could be very dominant.”
* The next challenge for the Bucks won’t come until November 21 when Michigan State visits.